Brain Aneurysm Treatment in Van Nuys, CA
The brain is surrounded by many blood vessels. These vessels are essential for normal brain function. When a blood vessel in the brain becomes swollen or bulging, it is known as a brain aneurysm.
A brain aneurysm is a type of stroke that can be life-threatening under certain circumstances. Thankfully, brain aneurysm treatment exists. Request more information today: Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Brain Aneurysm Symptoms
Brain aneurysms are generally broken down into three major types:
- Unruptured aneurysm: An unruptured aneurysm is a blood vessel that has become enlarged or swollen, but has not burst or begun leaking blood. Typically unruptured aneurysms are asymptomatic, meaning they cause no symptoms. However,some signs of an unruptured aneurysm include pain behind the eye, dilated pupils, difficulty seeing, numbness in the face and droopy eyelids.
- Leaking aneurysm: Before an unruptured aneurysm bursts, it may begin leaking. The most common sign of a leaking aneurism is a sudden, extremely severe headache . Leaking aneurysms should be treated immediately.
Ruptured aneurysm: Ruptured aneurysms have fully burst and as such, are the most severe. A ruptured aneurysm can be life threatening if left untreated and can cause many problems including:
- Severe headachee
- Loss of consciousness
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Stiff neck
If a sudden, severe headache and any of the other symptoms listed above are noticed, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately.
Brain Aneurysm Causes
Brain aneurysms are caused by the by the blood vessels in the brain becoming swollen, and then leaking or bursting. This swelling is, itself, caused by the artery walls of the vessels becoming thinner.
There are many risk factors that can contribute to the likeliness of a brain aneurysm. Some of these issues include:
- Advanced age
- Injuries to the head or brain
- Hard arteries
- Family history
- Blood infections
For many people, it is a combination of several of these problems that leads to a brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm Treatment
Brain aneurysm treatment typically begins with a test to determine if a brain aneurysm is present. This can include analyzing the reported symptoms for signs of a brain aneurysm. From there, tests may be used to diagnose a problem. These include:
- CT scans
- Cerebrospinal fluid tests
If a ruptured or leaking aneurysm is detected, neurosurgery may likley be recommended. The most common types of brain aneurysm surgery include:
- Surgical clipping: This is a surgical procedure to close an aneurysm to prevent further expansion and leaking. This is done by accessing the affect blood vessel and using a small metal clip to prevent blood from flowing through it.
- Endovascular coiling: This is a less invasive form of brain aneurysm surgery. During endovascular coiling, a catheter is inserted in to an aneurysm and coiled through the body to aneurysm's location. This catheter wire then stops blood flow and causes clotting, which seals the artery off.
For unruptured aneurysms, surgery may not be needed. Instead, a plan involving medication and close monitoring may be used.
Request Aneurysm Information Today
Brain aneurysms can be painful and potentially life threatening. If you have a family history of aneurysms, request treatment information today: call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Areas We Service:Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA