Nerve Injury Treatment in Burbank, CA
Your nervous system controls many crucial functions for your body, including pain reception, mental activity, senses and much more. In essence, your peripheral nerves control your body's ability to react to various stimuli by acting as the messenger between the brain and the rest of your body. That makes nerve damage or injuries to the peripheral nerves very painful and debilitating. This most often requires nerve injury treatment, which can range in intensity and style.
If you're seeking nerve damage treatment, get help immediately; please call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Types of Nerve Injuries
Because there are so many peripheral nerves throughout your body, there are many different types of nerve injuries. The nerves in your body are broken down in to three major types:
- Sensory, which control pain, muscle contraction and other tactile sensations.
- Autonomic, which control the involuntary-yet-essential functions of your body such as heart rate, blood pressure and digestion.
- Motor, which control movements throughout the body.
Some of the most common types include:
- Ulnar nerve injury
- Radial nerve injury
- Sciatic nerve injury (Sciatica )
- Peroneal nerve injury
- Axillary nerve injury
- Tibial nerve injury
- Femoral nerve injury
- Vagus nerve injury
- Obturator nerve injury
- Brachial nerve injury
When encountered, nerve injury can have a number of shocking and often painful symptoms. Nerve injury symptoms include:
- Inability to sense pain
- Sexual dysfunction
- Muscle atrophy
- Tingling or prickling
Causes of Nerve Injury
Just as there are many types of nerve damage, there are numerous sources of pain. The initial cause of damage can be something as simple as a minor injury or as complex as a chronic autoimmune disease . The only way to discover the cause of your nerve injury is to consult with a doctor. Some of the most common causes of nerve damage include:
- Trauma (injury or compression)
- Infection disease (such as Lyme disease )
- Poor nutrition
- Motor neuron diseases
If you suffer from one or more of these conditions and are noticing an increase in unusual or unexplained pain, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Nerve Injury Treatment
Nerve injury can be treated in a number of ways, depending on the severity and nature of the damage. If the damage or injury can be treated by addressing the underlying condition (such as diabetes or autoimmune diseases), that may be the first necessary course of action. In most other scenarios, nerve injuries are treated with medication or surgery.
- Medication: In cases where nerve pain or damage can be mitigated with medication, certain drugs may be used. These include pain relievers. This type of treatment is more common for minor nerve injuries.
- Surgery: For major nerve injuries and damaged nerves, surgery may be necessary. Nerve surgery is most often concerned with repairing and reconnecting damaged or separated nerves.
Nerve injury surgery typically requires a period of healing after the operation is complete. As part of that process, exercises or physical therapy may be necessary.
Get Help Immediately
Do you have damaged nerves or think you may? Nerve injury can severely impact your life and cause chronic, unavoidable pain. For a consultation, please call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm