Endoscopic Pituitary Surgery in Midland Park, NJ
Endoscopic pituitary surgery is a treatment method designed to combat pituitary tumors, including those that are cancerous. Endoscopic pituitary surgery makes use of the latest surgical technology to provide a targeted, effective solution. Endoscopic pituitary surgery is typically performed by neurosurgeons or surgical oncologists.
Request more information about endoscopic pituitary surgery now: Call (201) 806-6099 or contact MedWell Testosterone, Weight Loss & Hormone Replacement online.
What is Endoscopic Pituitary Surgery?
Endoscopic pituitary surgery is a type of neurosurgery. This treatment addresses tumors that form around the pituitary gland, which helps regulate the body's hormones. There are two primary types of pituitary tumors:
- Adenomas, which are non-cancerous and include other conditions like Cushing's disease, acromegaly and many others.
- Cancerous pituitary tumors
Even when non-cancerous, adenomas can cause serious symptoms by either increasing or decreasing the amount of hormones that the pituitary gland releases. Some possible symptoms of a pituitary tumor include:
- Sexual dysfunction in men and women
- Joint pain
- Weight loss
- Weight gain
- Vision loss
Some pituitary tumors also lead to a visible growth or hump on the back. The specific symptoms will vary depending on the type of tumor and its placement. Some tumors produce hormones, while others pressing against the gland decrease production.
How does Endoscopic Pituitary Surgery Work?
Endoscopic pituitary surgery treats these symptoms by removing the tumor that is currently affecting the patient's brain. What makes endoscopic pituitary surgery different is the use of endoscopes, rather than traditionally-invasive (craniotomy) surgery.
Endoscopic surgeries are performed using small surgical tools with a camera attached. This camera provides the surgeon with an up-close view of the surgical site, in this case the pituitary gland. This allows for a less invasive surgery, which doesn't require a large cranial entry scar or visible stitches.
During endoscopic pituitary surgery:
- Long, thin endoscopes are inserted through both nostrils, with one nostril containing the viewing camera and the other containing surgical tools. In rare cases, a small incision for the scopes may be made in the upper lip.
- The tumor will likely be examined in a session before the surgery itself is performed, in order to develop the most effective surgical plan.
- Using the visual aid, the neurosurgeon navigates to the pituitary tumor, typically through the sinus.
- The tumor is removed in small pieces.
- The endoscopes are removed and surgery is completed.
Endoscopic pituitary surgery has many benefits, including:
- Shorter recovery time
- No visible scar
- Reduced pain
- Faster surgical time
Despite these advantages, endoscopic surgery cannot be used on particularly large tumors or tumors that have grafted onto nearby tissue.
Request Neurosurgery Information Today
Endoscopic pituitary surgery is designed to provide relief from pituitary tumors without the use of traditional “open” cranial surgery. Request more information about this treatment method today: call (201) 806-6099 or contact MedWell Testosterone, Weight Loss & Hormone Replacement online.
MedWell Testosterone, Weight Loss & Hormone Replacement
Address33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm